1. What is the admission period?

    Applications for admission are now open for 2018 intake and will be closed on 31 May 2018. Late submissions will be considered on a rolling basis.

  2. How many students will the MScCGC Programme accept?

    Our classes are maintained at a medium size of around 40 students to allow more discussions and interactions between the course instrcutor and the class.

  3. What are the selection criteria?

    Applications are examined by the programme office based on the admission requirements shown on this web site. To further exchange details, please call (3411-5281) or e-mail (msccg@hkbu.edu.hk) our programme office.

  4. I don't have a business undergraduate degree. Does this prevent me from admission to your MScCGC Programme?

    No, it won’t. We welcome applicants in all disciplines. Professional qualifications such as ACCA, HKICPA, or CFA are considered to be bachelor equivalent. Applicants who are interestsed in corporate governance of commercial (listed or non-listed), public, charitable or non-governmental organizations are welcome.

  5. Who can I invite to be my referees?

    A referee should be a respected person who knows you well and is able to comment on your characteristics and suitability for the program. For example, a manager or supervisor from your work, a course instructor or professor from the institute you previously studied, or a respected professional acquaintance that you know.

  6. Is the admission interview required?

    Appropriately qualified applicants will be required to attend an interview as part of the selection process.

  7. How long after I have applied will the Admission Selection Panel make a decision?

    Decisions are generally made within two to four weeks after the admission interview.

  8. What time will the classes be held?

    Our Programme runs on a trimester system (3 terms in a year). Classes are held on weekday evenings (7 - 10 p.m.) and/or Saturday afternoons (2 - 5 p.m.).

  9. Is there any financial assistance offered to students?

    Local* full-time and part-time students are eligible to apply for the Government Non-Means-Tested Loan Scheme, in the form of loans to cover tuition fees;

    * “local students” refers to Hong Kong residents and holders of one-way permits from Mainland China.

    For details please visit the web site of the Student Financial Assistance Agency, HKSAR at http://www.sfaa.gov.hk/eng/schemes/cef.htm

  10. If I am offered a place in the MScCGC Programme, can I apply for exemption or credit transfer?

    Students may apply for exemption from taking up to two courses* on recommendation by the MScCGC Programme Director and by special approval of the Director of Graduate School, providing they have taken similar or equivalent courses at a recognized university or comparable institution (and achieved a satisfactory grade) previously. The University reserves the right to refuse to grant units for courses which are not deemed to be equivalent to the University courses and for courses with grades below the equivalence of grade “B-” in the University grading system.

    * Transfer of units is limited to the following core courses: Corporate Accounting, Strategic Management, Taxation and Corporate Law (only holders of Bachelor of Law (LLB) or Juris Doctor (JD) degree from recognized universities may apply for transfer of units of Corporate Law. Master of Law degree is not regarded as equivalent to LLB or JD for the purpose of application for transfer of units.).

  11. Do I need to pay the tuition fees for the exempted courses?

    Since the MScCGC Programme is operating on a programme-based system, students are required to pay the tuition fees of all the required courses even transfer of units (exemptions) are granted for any of these courses. Students are welcome to sit in the classes of the exempted courses to refresh their knowledge.

  12. What is the tuition fee and when does it need to be paid?

    The tuition fee for the whole program (30 credit units) for the 2017 intake is HKD$134,640 and to be paid in 5 equal installments:

    Installment Payment Due Date Part-time (HK$) Full-time (No intake in 2017-18)
    First Upon confimation of admission offer. 26,928 N/A
    Second Before the commencement of the second trimester in Year-one, usually around mid-November. 26,928 N/A
    Third Before the commencement of the third trimester in Year-one, usually around late February. 26,928 N/A
    Fourth Within the first few days of the first trimester in Year-two, usually in early September. 26,928 N/A
    Fifth Before the commencement of the second trimester in Year-two, usually around mid-November. 26,928 N/A
    Total 134,640 N/A

Additional FAQs pertaining to non-local applicants/graduates (no intake for full-time mode in 2017-18):

  1. What kind of visa/entry permit do I need for studying in Hong Kong?

    All non-local students must obtain a Student Visa or Entry Permit issued by the Director of Immigration for entering Hong Kong for the purpose of education. For details, please visit http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/study.html. Our Graduate School will contact successful non-local applicants to apply for a Student Visa when the offer is made.

  2. I graduated from a recognized University in Mainland China, and noted that I need to submit score of IELTS or TOEFL for meeting the English Language Proficiency requirement of the MScCGC Programme. May I know the minimum requirement of these tests?

    If English was not the medium of instruction for undergraduate studies, applicants are required to provide evidence of good English of proficiency: a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (Paper-based) or 79 (Internet-based), IELTS (Academic) Overall Band score of 6.5 or an equivalent score on a comparable test.

  3. I am a non-local student, can I get a bed place in your on-campus hostel?

    On-campus accommodation cannot be provided to students taking Taught programmes due to current shortage in on-campus hostel places. Students may choose to seek suitable accommodations on their own or through property agents. Our University also provides off-campus hostels for post-graduate students, subject to availability. For details please visit the web site of our office of Student Affairs at https://sa.hkbu.edu.hk.

  4. Can non-local students stay and work in Hong Kong after graduated?

    According to ”Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates" (IANG), non-local fresh graduates who wish to apply to stay and work in the HKSAR may be granted 12 months' stay on time limitation without other conditions of stay provided that normal immigration requirements are met. For details please visit http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/.

  5. I want to know more about the employment status of your Mainland graduates. Did they get a job after graduated?

    Yes, most of our Mainland graduates got a job after graduated. They are either staying in Hong Kong or working in other cities in Mainland China.