Hong Kong Baptist University Chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma
Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) is the international honor society serving business programs accredited by Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International, which invites outstanding business schools to establish their collegiate chapters.
In 2010, the School of Business of HKBU became one of the business schools in Asia accredited by AACSB International, which recognizes the excellent quality of the School. To reinforce the international standard of School of Business, the HKBU Chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma has been set up to encourage and honor the students with outstanding academic achievement. Membership in BGS is a privilege for recognizing business students with outstanding academic achievements. In addition to inviting outstanding students to join the BGS, each year the Chapter presents a Chapter Honoree award to veteran business leaders who have furthered the ideals of the Society through outstanding business and managerial leadership.
History of the Beta Gamma Sigma
Beta Gamma Sigma is the first national honor society in business founded in 1913. It was a merger of three separate societies (at University of Wisconsin, University of Illinois and the University of California) established to honor academic achievement in business. It has over 625,000 members, selected from almost 500 chapters in AACSB-accredited business schools.
BThe Mission of the International Honor Society Beta Gamma Sigma is to encourage and honor academic achievement in the study of business, to foster personal and professional excellence, to advance the values of the Society, and to serve its lifelong members.
The Mission is supported by the five Objectives of the Society. These include:
- Encourage and honor high academic achievement by students of business and management through chapters in business programs acredited by AACSB.
- Foster in Beta Gamma Sigma members an enduring commitment to the founding principles and values of the Society: honor and integrity, pursuit of wisdom, and earnestness.
- Support the advancement of business thought and practice to encourage lifelong learning.
- Enhance the value of Beta Gamma Sigma for students and alumni members in their professional lives.
- Advance the visibility and reputation of Beta Gamma Sigma.