Go Abroad Photo & Video Contest
Who can join?
All HKBU School of Business students who joined summer or semester exchange programmes as well as overseas internships, service learning or study tours in 2018/19 are welcome.
Application deadline: 13 September 2019 (Friday)
What is the prize?
- Champion: HK$1,800 cash
- 1st runner-up: HK$1,000 cash
- 2nd runner-up: HK$500 cash
- Most-liked Photo Award: HK$300 cash (The photo entry with greatest number of “likes” on Instagram by 3 October 2019 noon)
- Outstanding Photo Awards (6 awards): HK$100 cash
- Champion: HK$2,300 cash
- 1st runner-up: HK$1,500 cash
- 2nd runner-up: HK$800 cash
- Most-liked Video Award: HK$500 cash (The video entry with greatest number of “likes” on Instagram by 3 October 2019 noon)
- Outstanding Video Awards (4 awards): HK$150 cash
How to join?
Complete and submit the online application form on or before 13 September 2019 (Friday).
- Each participant can submit up to three photos;
- Submit the photo(s) via uploading to the online application form ;
- Photo in JPG format, and with at least 2000 pixels at the longest dimension;
- For Most-liked Photo Award: upload photo(s) to Instagram and hashtag #hkbubusinessschool AND #GoAbroadPhotoVideoContest, please make sure the entries are publicly accessible on Instagram; otherwise, please follow the School of Business Instagram account: hkbubusinessschool;
- Photos should be taken overseas while on semester or summer exchange programmes, or during overseas internships, service learning or study tours or study tours in 2018/19.
- Each participant can submit up to two videos;
- Submit the video(s) online by uploading to YouTube / Vimeo / Google Drive or other online platforms;
- Video in mp4 format, 1 minute or less, and in 720p or above;
- For Most-liked Video Award: upload video(s) to Instagram and hashtag #hkbubusinessschool AND #GoAbroadPhotoVideoContest, please make sure the entries are publicly accessible on Instagram; otherwise, please follow the School of Business Instagram account: hkbubusinessschool;
- Videos should capture the experiences on semester or summer exchange programmes, or during overseas internships, service learning or study tours or study tours in 2018/19.
All entries should capture the experience of going abroad in 2018/19, and could include but not limited to unique class experiences, cultural events, hangouts with friends, the city you live in etc.
How to win?
Panel of judges will select the winning entries based on:
- Adherence to Theme and Inspirational Power
- Technical Execution
- Creativity and Originality
- Aesthetic Quality and Difficulty
Bonus points will be added if the entry includes you (the participant) and/or your friends.
- 13 September 2019: Submission deadline
- 3 October 2019 noon: Cut-off date and time for the Most-liked Photo/Video Awards
- 4 October 2019: Result announcement
Rules & Regulations
- A panel of judges will choose the Champion, 1st Runner-up and 2nd Runner-up based on the judging criteria including “adherence to theme and inspirational power”, “technical execution”, “creativity and originality” as well as “aesthetic quality and difficulty”. All decisions of the judges are final.
- The Most-liked Photo/Video Awards will be based on the number of “likes” on Instagram with hashtag #hkbubusinessschool AND #GoAbroadPhotoVideoContest by the cutoff date and time (3 October 2019 noon), and the entries must be publicly accessible on Instagram; otherwise, please follow the School of Business Instagram account: hkbubusinessschool.
- Submitted photos and videos could include basic digital image retouching, e.g. white balance, exposure, contrast, saturation.
- Participants who violated any one of the below rules would be disqualified:
- Entries must be original works by the participants during overseas experience in 2018/19, and have not won any prizes in other competitions.
- Entries should have no violation of copyright and/or trademark infringement rights.
- All information provided with the entries must be true and accurate.
- Submitted photos and/or videos should not be altered to reflect a different reality.
- Entries must be appropriate for the University. No profanity, vulgar lyrics, nudity, violence, pyrotechnics, open flames or any other dangerous additions for all entries.
- No alcohol, tobacco and drug advertisements are to be shown in the photo/video.
- No advertising is allowed to generate “likes” for the Most-liked Photo/Video Awards.
- By submitting the online application form, all participants acknowledge that they have read through the contest Rules & Regulations and agree to automatically grant the permission to the HKBU School of Business and its successors on the usage of their photos and/or videos submitted, as well as printing their names and studying programmes for advertising, promotional and publicity purposes.
- Rules and Regulations are subject to change at the sole discretion of the HKBU School of Business.
Champion - Photo
A Hiking-learning Journey in Trolltunga, Norway
by LAU Tracy Chi Kee
A 14-hour hike in one day, -20 degree-weather, and 40 mph winds. I was excited when I made it and met new friends in this unforgettable journey.
Champion - Video
by HUNG Yan Yee
Click to view all winning entries of the 2018 Contest.
Champion - Photo
msterdam from the Air
by Bo Le
A bird's-eye view of Amsterdam on a perfect sunny afternoon.