7 Things That Might Help You When Living in Hong Kong
By Madina MALIKOVA
- Octopus card is one of the most important things that you need to have while staying in Hong Kong. It’s a transport and payment card. Apart from using it in almost all the local transports including metro (i.e. its name is MTR in Hong Kong), bus, minibus and ferry, it also can be used in the supermarkets and convenient stores. More importantly, if you are a full-time student under 26, you can enjoy 50% discount while using the Octopus card for transport.
- The affordable options for grocery shopping are ParknShop, Wellcome and Bestmart 360. If you are planning to buy a big amount of food, I recommend you to check out Bestmart 360.
- While choosing the off-campus accommodation, pay attention to the distance from your future house to the MTR. Instead of taking a bus or walking 10 to 20 minutes to the closest MTR station, it’s much more convenient to arrive the nearly MTR station within a few minutes’ walk from the place that you are going to stay.
- If you are not a big fan of Asian cuisine, I’d highly recommend you to try something from Mexican House (Mexican food) and Seoul Bros (Korean food).
- While ordering delivery from restaurants, you can use FoodPanda or Deliveroo apps.
- If you would like to check the comments of restaurants or make the reservations, you can use OpenRice app.
- Don’t freak out if you can’t find 4, 14, 24 and 34 floors buttons in an elevator, it’s just a Chinese thing. The number “four” sounds similar to the word “die” in Cantonese, so, some of the buildings may omit those numbers.