Employment Policy for Non-local Students in HK

Employment policy for Non-local Students in Hong Kong

A. Eligibility of non-local students to take up employment in Hong Kong

Under Regulation 2 of the Immigration Regulations, Cap 115A, permission given to a person to reside in Hong Kong as a student shall be subject to the conditions of stay that, inter alia, he/she shall NOT take any employment, whether paid or unpaid.

Non-local students of HKBU MScAAF Programme may take up internship subject to the following conditions:

  1. While you remain as a student studying Master of Sciencs in Applied Accounting and Finance Programme at Hong Kong Baptist University

  2. Your limit of stay in Hong Kong remains unexpired

  3. Before you have fulfilled all the courses/credit requirements for graduation

  4. The internships must be study/curriculum-related and be arranged or endorsed by the institutions they are studying in

  5. The duration of the internship is up to one-third of the normal duration of Master of Sciencs in Applied Accounting and Finance Programme.

Application Procedures

You are required to complete the following procedures before taking up the internships:

  • Make a copy of your employment letter;

  • ​Seek your programme’s endorsement on the employment letter for you to take up an internship;

  • Submit the endorsed employment offer letter to the Graduate School for record, and inspection if necessary, by the Immigration Department.

There is no restriction on the nature of work, level of salary, location, number of working hours and employers for the internship arrangements.

B. Part-time On-campus Employment

1) Part-time on-campus employment at Hong Kong Baptist University for not more than 20 hours per week throughout the year is allowed for MScAAF students in general; and

​2) Employment during the summer months from 1 June to 31 August without any limit in relation to number of working hours, nature of work or location.

C. Immigration arrangement for non-local graduates (IANG) policy

​Non-local students who have obtained a degree or higher qualification of a full-time and locally accredited programme in Hong Kong may apply to stay / return and work in Hong Kong under the “Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG)”.

​Non-local graduates who submit applications to the Immigration Department within six months after the date of their graduation (i.e. the date shown on their graduation certificates) are classified as non-local fresh graduates.  Fresh graduates may be granted 12 months stay on time limitation without other conditions of stay provided that normal immigration requirements are met.

​In early July (for students graduated in late June) or early October (for students graduated in late September) every year, Graduate School will give all graduates a copy of academic records sent by post to their correspondence address as recorded in the University Cyber Port System (BUniPort). You can use it as a proof of graduation from the University when you apply to stay and work under the IANG.

​You may click here for more details of the IANG policy